NEW HAMPSHIRE: Salmonella cases linked to pudding at camp
Posted: April 29th, 2009 - 10:21pm
CONCORD, N.H. -- A mixer used to make pudding was the source of salmonella that sickened children at a camp in Madison, N.H., this month, health officials said.
The Stone Environmental Camp voluntarily closed last week because of cases of salmonella diagnosed in camp attendees.
Department of Health and Human Services investigators determined that pudding served to the campers was contaminated with salmonella. The mixer used to prepare the pudding has been removed and is undergoing further testing.
The food for the campers is prepared by Purity Springs, where the camp is located. Officials said the mixer is sanitized after each use, but a possible defect may have allowed bacteria to get to an area where it couldn't be cleaned out.
More than 50 students from Woodbury Middle School in Salem, N.H., fell ill at the camp, and health officials determined that some of them had salmonella.