AUSTRALIA: Woman dies after eating mushroom
Posted: June 11th, 2012 - 11:37am
A Melbourne woman has died after eating death cap mushrooms.
The Box Hill woman, aged in her early 50s, was taken to the Austin Hospital in a critical condition on Wednesday, suffering severe poisoning.
The woman died today, the hospital said in a brief statement, adding that the family had requested privacy.
Austin Hospital emergency department director Dr Fergus Kerr said that the woman, of Chinese background, ate a meal on the weekend that contained mushrooms picked in a park in Box Hill.
He warned one death cap mushroom was enough to kill a person and about half the people who eat them die.