SCOTLAND: More than 100 people struck down with norovirus at Gleneagles
Posted: June 7th, 2012 - 9:19pm
Source: Caterer and Hotelkeeper
Early tests have confirmed that norovirus is the cause of an outbreak of sickness and diarrhea at the five-star, 232-bedroom Gleneagles hotel.
More than 100 people connected to the property in Auchterarder, Perthshire, were taken ill over the weekend of 26/27 May.
NHS Tayside's health protection team and environmental health officers from Perth & Kinross Council have since worked closely with the hotel's staff to implement all the recommended infection control measures, advising anyone suffering from symptoms to be very careful with their hand hygiene and remain at home until 48 hours after their symptoms have cleared up.
A Gleneagles spokesperson said: "We can confirm there were a number of reported cases of norovirus. All the relevant authorities were notified and we have been working in conjunction with them to assess the situation on an ongoing basis.
"The care of our guests and staff is of paramount importance and we have been taking the necessary precautions. We are glad to say that as far as we are aware, only a handful of people have yet to return to full health."
NHS Tayside are still carrying out virology tests, but they confirmed that early indications show norovirus was present.