’We’re awaiting rectal swab results’ 239 sickened in Philippines outbreaks
Posted: May 31st, 2012 - 12:53pm
Health types are investigating separate outbreaks of food poisoning and diarrhea in Limay, Bataan and Balanga City last week.
The Manila Times cited Dr. Rosanna Buccahan, acting Provincial Health Officer, as saying they are waiting for the results of rectal swab to be known in two weeks and stool culture in one week to determine the cause or causes that affected the victims.
“We are waiting for results of the random rectal swab and stool culture from the Research Institute of Tropical Medicine in Metro Manila after the PHO in coordination with the Regional Epidemiology Research Center and the Department of Health conducted the tests,” she said.
Buccahan said that 117 inmates of the Bataan District Jail in Balanga City suffered from diarrhea Tuesday last week while 25 people were victimized by food poisoning after eating egg rolls (lumpia) during a funeral in Limay last Thursday. Ninety-seven, mostly children, were downed by food poisoning after eating dirty ice cream in Barangay Cabog-Cabog in Balanga last Wednesday.