MALAYSIA: 71 students down with food poisoning after eating sambal sotong
Posted: September 28th, 2011 - 6:16pm
Source: The Star
ALOR SETAR -- Seventy-one students from a school at Jalan Stadium here suffered food poisoning after consuming sambal sotong (chilli-based squids) at their hostel canteen Friday.
They were rushed to the Sultanah Bahiyah Hospital on Saturday after suffering from stomach ache, nausea, dizziness, vomitting and diarrhoea.
The students, aged between 15 and 17, had consumed the food during dinner.
Hospital Emergency Department head Dr Fatahul Laham Mohamed said the students were sent there in two buses at about 9.15pm.
He said the 40 boys and 31 girls were given outpatient treatment and they returned to their hostel the same night.
State Health Department deputy director Dr Hayati Mohd Radzi said food samples from the canteen had been taken for testing.