Indiana girl’s E. coli death linked to petting zoo?
Posted: July 31st, 2011 - 1:45pm
Kalei Welch, a 5-year-old girl in Hendricks County, Indiana, has died and health officials say E. coli is to blame.
About a week ago, she came down with flu-like symptoms.
Her parents took her to the hospital. Kalei died Thursday.
New reports say it's believed the little girl contracted the E. coli two weeks ago at the Hendricks County Fair.
"The petting zoo part of a fair really can be a dangerous place because they're touching the animals," said Marc Monte, a family spokesperson. "The animals sometimes have this bacteria on them. If hands are not washed or if they depend on just the sanitizer, that can be not a good thing."
The health department is still working to determine with more certainty where Kalei picked up the bacteria. The fairgrounds are only one possibility.
A table of past petting zoo related outbreaks is available at http://bites.ksu.edu/petting-zoos-outbreaks.