Tourists struck down with Salmonella at SPANISH resort
Posted: February 21st, 2010 - 5:37pm
Yet another story about Brits trying to get some sunshine and ending up with the runs.
Alex Liddell, 64, was rushed to hospital with salmonella poisoning after he became ill while staying at a crisis-hit Spanish hotel on Tenerife’s west coast.
Mr Liddell, who also has a heart condition, was taken to the Royal Alexandra Hospital in Paisley after visiting his doctor when he returned to Scotland.
Last night, his worried wife Sandra, a well-known community councilor, told of the dreadful conditions they had to endure at their Spanish hotel and launched a stinging attack on tour operators Thomson.
“I had contacted Thomson the day before we travelled to Spain because Id noticed on the Internet that there had been problems at the hotel where we were staying.
Alex has a heart condition and has had a valve replacement operation, so I didnt want him to be at risk of picking up a bug.
But I was told that Thomson weren’t aware of problems at the hotel.
However, both of us fell ill while we were there.
The food was sloppy and there was even a microwave with a sign on it which said that you could use it to heat your food up if it wasn’t hot enough.”
The Paisley Daily Express said the pair were among dozens of British tourists who were struck down by gastric problems after staying at the Hotel Los Gigantes in the Acantilado de los Gigantes resort on Tenerifes west coast.
A top law firm has now been appointed by some of the hotel guests, who aim to collectively sue Thomson for compensation in the region of £1million.