ISRAEL: So that's why they call them 'doggie bags'
Posted: August 5th, 2009 - 7:11pm
Source: Jerusalem Post
Getting your money's worth by packing up leftovers from a wedding you attended is not always a bargain.
Nine children and three women from a village in the Galilee who attended the celebration Sunday ended up Monday evening at the emergency room at Western Galilee Government Hospital in Nahariya with diarrhea, fierce stomachache and vomiting. Seven of the children and two of the women had to be hospitalized for observation.
They were diagnosed with food poisoning tracked back to the "doggie bags" taken and eaten at home. Amil Aga, epidemiological supervisor at the hospital, reached the conclusion that the leftovers had been left outside rather than in refrigeration for several hours until the extended family got home.
Hospital director-general Dr. Masad Barhoom warned people that during the hot summer months, store raw and prepared food under proper conditions to reduce the risk of food poisoning.