IRELAND: Sesame seed mixes 2nd product recall
Posted: July 17th, 2009 - 6:17pm
Source: Food Safety Authority of Ireland
The Food Safety Authority of Ireland (FSAI) today advised that a product recall is being undertaken on certain packets of seed mixes supplied into the Irish retail market by Kestrel Foods in Northern Ireland. These seed products are being recalled due to the presence of Salmonella which presents a risk to consumers’ health. Consumers are being warned not to consume the affected batches which are as follows:
• Super Valu Seed Mix 70g – batch no. 90125795A - best before 31st October, 2009
• Super Valu Seed Mix 300g – batch no. 90165947A -best before 31st October, 2009
• Super Valu Sesame Seeds 150g – batch nos. 90135899A, 90216109A, 90226109A, 90306276A - best before 31st October, 2009
• Centra Seed Mix 70g – batch no. 90166004A - best before 31st October, 2009
• Centra Seed Mix 70g – batch no. 90306003A - best before 30th November, 2009
• Forest Feast Sesame Seeds 50g – batch no. 9125854A - best before 31st October, 2009 – sold by Tesco
• Tesco Wholefoods Seed Mix 100g – batch nos. 90156009A, 90166009A - best before 31st October, 2009
The FSAI has contacted the retail stores to which Kestrel Foods supplied these products to ensure that all affected batches are being withdrawn from sale. Centra, Supervalu and Tesco are co-operating in this recall process and removing products from sale. The FSAI will continue to monitor the withdrawal.
According to Prof Alan Reilly, Chief Executive, FSAI, this seed product recall follows a sesame seed recall less than a fortnight ago and stems from a breakdown in food hygiene practices, most likely at the initial site of processing. He warned that due to the fact that these seeds will not be cooked by consumers before they are eaten, they present a higher risk. He advises that people should not consume the affected products.
“The FSAI is concerned that the product could cause food poisoning if consumed. This product is ready-to-eat, so the risk posed is that the Salmonella would not be destroyed before consumption. Consumers who have affected product are advised to dispose of it or return it to the store where it was purchased. Consumers who may have already consumed this product and are feeling unwell, should seek medical advice,” he said.