- 2 deaths and 141 illnesses are associated with cantaloupes grown in Indiana.
- Refrigerate cantaloupes quickly after slicing. Bacteria such as Salmonella and Listeria can grow quickly on the orange flesh of the fruit when held above 41°F.
- Due to the roughness of the rind, it is difficult to wash away much of the bacteria.
Food Safety Infosheet Highlights:
- Storing low-acid foods in a jar and sealing them without either acidifying or processing using pressure creates the ideal conditions for toxin formation.
- Tested recipes and directions for safe canning can be found at the National Center for Home Food Preservation: