Cantaloupes linked to Salmonella outbreak
Posted: August 23rd, 2012 - 11:11am
- Outbreak has led to 2 deaths and 178 illnesses and is associated with cantaloupes sold by Chamberlin Farms, located in Owensville IN.
- Chamberlin Farms has announced a recall; the investigation is continuing as it is possible that there are other sources of illnesses.
- Refrigerate cantaloupes quickly after slicing. Bacteria such as Salmonella and Listeria can grow quickly on the orange flesh of the fruit when held above 41°F.
- Due to the roughness of the rind, it is difficult to wash away much of the bacteria.
- Using a scrub brush under running water (especially at the cut point) can reduce the risk of pathogen introduction.