Keeping food safe after a storm
Posted: April 16th, 2011 - 9:11pm
Food Safety Infosheet Highlights:
- Tornados and storms can cause power outages and lead to food safety concerns
- With the door closed, food in most freezers will stay below 41° F for up to 3 days.
- Keep the refrigerator and freezer doors closed as much as possible to maintain the cold temperature.
- You can safely re-freeze foods that still contain ice crystals or that have been kept at 41° F or below.
- Certain foods such as condiments, jams and jellies and breads will not be at risk for pathogen growth if not refrigerated.