High school biology classes often involve dissections. I distinctly remember the day my teacher, Mr. Deluca, brought in the fetal pigs. My partner was queezy at the thought of cutting open the little piggys, so I ended up doing most of the work, and truthfully was unphased by the dissection apart from the strong smell of formaldehyde in the classroom.
A teenage boy in Texas was less put-off by the smell of formaldehyde when he ate the testicles from a fetal pig on a dare during the class dissection, reports the Dallas Morning News.
Last week at Shepton High School in Plano, a ninth-grader agreed to eat parts of a fetal pig – and not just any parts – for $50. [The boy] gulped them down one at a time, he said, trying not to bite down.
The 15-year old boy, explained,
"It was just like swallowing a pill. It wasn't that bad."
School officials, who declined to comment, apparently took a different view, especially because the pigs are soaked in formaldehyde, a toxic chemical used to preserve the tissue.
The boy was sent to the hospital, but appears fine, commenting,
"It wasn't very smart.”