Woman, 23, dies in St. Louis after contracting E. coli
Posted: August 18th, 2012 - 5:15am by Doug Powell
A 23-year-old is dead after she got E. coli, possibly after eating at a local restaurant. Her family is now asking for an investigation into the restaurant.
KMOV reports Ciera Brookfield told her family that she felt sick after eating at a Chinese restaurant in Overland, near St. Louis, Missouri.
Ciera was just 23 when she passed away on Thursday. Her family says the Ladue Horton Watkins High School grad got sick after eating at Hon's Wok, which is next door to where she worked at Woofie's on Woodson Road.
"She came home about 8 that night. She came in, she laid down on the couch, she said 'mom, I think I have food poisoning,'" said Donna Clark, Ciera's mother. "I went to work, came back and she was very frantic, saying that she thought it was really bad."
That was last Thursday. By Friday night Ciera was in the ICU. Mercy Hospital confirms that she had E. coli. But Ciera also suffered from Sickle Cell disease, which made the infection worse.
"It went to her blood stream and for a person with sickle cell, it's harder to fight it," Clark said.
As Ciera's family grieves, they want the St. Louis County Health Department to investigate the Chinese restaurant.
"We don't want anybody else to die like my daughter died," Clark said.
But it's important to note that the CDC says E. coli symptoms usually appear three to four days after someone contracts the bacteria but that it can be as short as one day.
The St. Louis County Health Department cannot confirm that Ciera contracted E. coli at Hon's Wok. The department is investigating a complaint there but says, at this point, it does not include E. coli.
"We've been open over 10 years and [nothing] like this [has happened] before," said Thao Vuong, Hon's Wok manager.