UK girl, eight, dies from E. coli O157
Posted: August 13th, 2012 - 7:47pm by Doug Powell
An eight-year-old girl has died after contracting an E. coli infection but health officials have stressed it is not part of an outbreak.
The Daily Mail reports the child was from East Ayrshire in Scotland and had contracted the E. coli O157 strain.
She was treated in the Royal Hospital for Sick Children in Glasgow but sadly died.
NHS Ayrshire and Arran said it has not identified the source of the infection but it does not believe the case is part of an outbreak.
Dr Jane Cooper, consultant in public health medicine said: 'Our thoughts are with the family during this very difficult time. “