E. coli outbreak butcher pleads guilty
Posted: July 21st, 2007 - 2:07pm by Doug PowellFive-year-old Mason Jones died a painful and unnecessary death. On Oct. 30, 2005, Sharon Mills, Mason's grief-stricken mother, recounted the events leading to her son's death on BBC Radio Wales:
"His head was soaking wet and he was drifting in and out of consciousness. He was saying silly things, like he could see slugs, and [he was] looking for a fork which he had never had - because he hadn't eaten anything."
Mason died Oct. 4 from E. coli O157 as part of an outbreak which sickened 161 -- primarily schoolchildren -- in south Wales.
Yesterday, butcher William John Tudor, entered guilty pleas to six charges of supplying South Wales schools with meat which was contaminated with E.coli O157 and was a health risk, when his case was listed for a mention at Cardiff Crown Court.
Tudor entered guilty pleas to charges under the General Food Regulations 2004 of "placing unsafe food on the market".
Sharon said that her son's death was "avoidable" and that lessons "have to be learnt."
"There was nothing wrong with him, only that he ate a dinner - an innocent child eating a dinner. I never thought you could die from E. coli. Never. I had heard of E.coli and I just thought it was food poisoning. I never ever thought Mason would die from it."